Sundays 29 September, 27 October & 24 November 2019, 10am to 4pm.
This course will take you on a fascinating journey through 5000 years of history as we go in search of the origins and history of the yoga tradition. It will comprise of a mixture of theory and practice. Each workshop includes lectures & group discussions, āsana, prāṇāyāma, meditation, chanting and other practices from the yoga tradition.
These workshops are designed for yoga practitioners and teachers who wish to gain greater clarity and deeper understanding of yoga history and the many and varied paths of yoga.
Workshop 1: Exploring Pre-Patañjali Yoga
- Pre-Vedic and Early Vedic yoga? Examining the evidence
- Yoga in the Upaniṣads and Mahābhārata
- The Śramaṇa traditions of Jainism and Buddhism
Workshop 2: Patañjali and the Emergence of Classical Yoga
- The philosophy of Sāṅkhya
- The classical Yoga of Patañjali
- Influence of Advaita Vedānta
Workshop 3: From Tantra to Hatha and Modern Yoga
- The origins and evolution of Tantra
- The arrival of Haṭha yoga and its links with Tantra
- The revival of Yoga in the modern period
About The Tutor
Ben has completed a two year British Wheel of Yoga accredited teacher training course at Mandala Yoga Ashram in Wales, an internationally renowned centre of yogic knowledge. Here, Ben also received extensive training in the teaching of meditation and Yoga Nidra. Ben has particular interest and knowledge in the history and philosophy of yoga and has been studying this area in depth for a number of years, and looks forward to sharing some of this knowledge and wisdom with you!
Cost: £120. Course includes 60 page full-colour handbook.
Contact Ben for further details about the course.